greatsauktrail_700_298The majority of survey respondents support pedestrians, bicyclists and cross-country skiers as the primary users of the proposed Great Sauk Trail which will connect the villages of Sauk City and Prairie du Sac to the southern part of Devil’s Lake State Park. The number one hope conveyed for the trail was support for the Badger Reuse Plan and a natural setting on the trail. Low impact non-motorized use was also widely favored by survey participants.

Of the more than 1,000 people who responded to the recent advisory survey by the UW-Extension office, 76 percent said pedestrians should be primary users, 72 percent said bicyclists and 57 percent said cross-country skiers. The top three suggestions for other trails users that should be considered were bird-watchers, photographers and snowshoers.

The majority of respondents supported a permeable trail surface with 69 percent preferring crushed stone and the remaining 31 percent favoring a paved trail. The survey also asked what, if any, restrictions should be placed on trail users. The top response was a noise restriction, favored by 59 percent. Nearly half (49 percent) felt that if ATVs or snowmobiles were allowed that a speed limit should be enforced.

Certain trail amenities were supported by many of the respondents. Bathrooms were the top preferred amenity, receiving 70 percent support. Picnic tables and benches received 63 percent, interpretive signage 60 percent, and water 56 percent.

The next meeting of the Great Sauk Trail Commission will be on Tuesday, November 25 at 5 p.m. at the Sauk City Village Hall located at 726 Water Street. The Commission will be discussing potential trail users, access points and possible loop routes within the former Badger Army Ammunition Plant. The Commission will also discuss the need for and possible location of amenities.

Great Sauk Trail Public Participation Report Final 2014

HOW YOU CAN HELP: Sign our online Petition to National Parks supporting conservation and only low-impact recreation on the Badger lands.